Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO <-> OLEDB difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

guenter

Programmer
Jul 14, 2000
AT
Please, could someone explain me the main-differences between these two technologies.
Do they have the same root-objects ?
I started DB-programming using ODBC classes; what are the benefits using ADO, OLEDB ?

Any help is appreciated !
thanks
Guenter [sig]<p>guenter<br><a href=mailto:guenter.porzer@oekb.co.at>guenter.porzer@oekb.co.at</a><br>[/sig]

ADO is a much easier approach to database programming, it uses ODBC underneath, but is much more easier on the surface, look at my FAQ in the VC++ Forum regarding, how to get ADO to work in VC++, you'll notice the difference right off, if you have ever had to do OLEDB. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Great question Guenter!

What about performance? Does ADO slow things down?

Aaron

the fastest usualy is ODBC. Faster can be sometimes DAO. The fastest always is native API. About the performance for OLEDB/ADO, they lose performance only at procedure interpreting/compilling and connection/disconnection time, but it is not an issue then there are megabytes of data, because the driver has the main role in processing data. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back