Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO login with a background application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott2S

Technical User
Oct 27, 2000
US
I'm still a little green with ADO - so please stick with me. We are creating a VB6 application that will be using ADO/ OLEDB to connect to a SQL 2000 database. We don't want to use a DSN - just ADO. The program will actually be using a DLL that will retrieve database configuration information and user information for this VB6 application to operate. This VB6 application will be scheduled to launch at various times of the day to process files to be FTP'd in or out, etc. The question that I have is we want only this application to have permission into the database to retrieve this user type information. I don't want to hard code this and I don't want to have the user information on the command line of the application for someone to hack. I am thinking about putting the user info in the registry but then I would have to encrypt it there also. Any ideas?

How about putting the user info in a little .cfg file along with your program? You can store it in an encrypted form there, and decrypt it when you retrieve it.
Along with that you can also store other program-specific or location, or even user-specific data as well in that file. Take Care,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back