Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO linking of tables in Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgjj

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
In previous versions of Access with DAO, you could link to a table with the Jet engine and interact with the data in real time. If one user was running an application and updated the data it would be seen in the Access database as well.

With the advent of ADO, I see that Microsoft has kind of changed gears about the support of what they are calling the desktop database drivers, and have been limiting and changing the way that it works. For example, I still work with a lot of FoxPro and DBase applications. I have Access97 on my computer in addition to the newer versions just so that I can continue to work.

I have a provider for Dbase that will allow me to open recordsets in code. The problem is that I would rather setup a link in the database through the code, but then be able to use all of the features of Access with that linked data.

1) Is it possible to still do this. If I use the Jet engine, even with the sp6 for Jet 4.0 I cannot truly link to the data. Jet will open it in single user mode, so affectively, I cannot use in multi-user environment. So can I use the provider I have and link the table in code.

2) If I do that, it appears that I need to refresh the links each time the database is opened. Is this correct? Anyone that can explain why would be appreciated.

3) Anyone have a better alternative, other than updating the legacy systems?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back