Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO Connection failed to create object

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Sorry to post this here as well as in the NT4 forum, but I was wondering if someone here has experienced similar.
I have an NT4 box that is using UDL and ADO to connect to an SQL server.All works well in the staging environment - which is (I thought) identical to production (although obviously something is different). However, Production gives the "429 ActiveX component can't create object" - and I'm stumped. The MDAC reports as the same on both machines (2.8), and as far as I can see, both servers are set up with the same permissions. The connection strings are identical....
Code:
connection string = "Driver={SQL Server};server=myserver;database=mydatabase;uid=username;pwd=password"connection string = "Data Source=myserver;network library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=mydatabase, User Id=username;Password=password;"
There are other bits to it, but it is failing on:
Code:
Set SQL = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION")
As I said, MDAC checks out, permissions check out, file versions are the same...Anyone have any idea what else I can check? Nothing using ADO/UDLs on this machine is working. Except, of course, if you open the UDL by double clicking it. The connection checks out fine - connects OK.
Completely stumped here.

I google different possible causes:

The error means that you have a corrupt MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) installation on your computer.
--> reinstall MDAC

This error occurs because the Microsoft® Scripting Engine is not installed on the system running the program.

No (or not correct version) .NET Framework installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back