Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADO and Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

beruken

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have a connection to an Oracle DB and it works fine. Once I try to create a recordset though, I get the following error.

"Ora-00942 Table or view does not exist"

I have an Access 2000 odbc linked connection to the same oracle DB and I know what the table names and field names are so that isn't the problem.

sConn = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;DRIVER={Oracle73 Ver 2.5};UID=noOne;PWD=changeme;DBQ=LSUNITS.WORLD;ASY=OFF;"
Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
cn.CursorLocation = adUseServer
cn.ConnectionString = sConn
cn.Open

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
sSQL = "SELECT * FROM LSMGR_ACCT"
rs.Open sSQL, cn

1) Do you have the Oracle Client software, you must have this to connect to Oracle. To see if you have it from a command prompt enter:
[tt]tnsping Database Name.Server or Host Name[/].World[/tt]

2) Your connection string is very wrong. It should look more like:
[tt]Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=Database Name.Server or Host Name[/].World;User ID=?;Password=?;[/tt]

3) Unless of course you want to use ODBC. Though what's the point of using an ODBC connection if your already using ADO. I'd stick with #2 for an OLEDB connection but that's up to you.
[tt]Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=The ODBC Entry you created in Data Source Config window (Control Panel);UID=?;PWD=?;[/tt]

I hope this is at least a good start for you... Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

I hope my post was helpful!!!

Pinging worked fine but your #2 connection path resulted in "error 3706 provider cannot be found". The ODBC connection works fine.

My original connection to the DB was a File DSN that worked great.

sConn = "FileDSN=ls.dsn;" & _
"Server=LsUnits.world;" & _
"Uid=NoOne;" & _
"Pwd=changeme;" & _
"Database=lsunits;"

The issue is grabbing a record. It keeps telling me no such Table exists. Which there is.

try calling the table name with the database.
[lsunits].[table1] Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

Thanks but that still would not work. I guess i'll have to find a different way to get at the data.

Sorry I thought the problem was with your connection. I noticed your SQL was in-complete

sSQL = "SELECT * FROM LSMGR_ACCT";

Though I think it might work without the ;. Do you know exactly where in the code it dies. is it on the Open statement.

Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back