Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admistratively down VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

landrew5

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
Hey guys,

I am trying to setup a 2924 XL (IOS 12.0(5)WC9) with about 5 vlan's. Eventually I am going to connect one of the ethernet ports to a 7204 router to perform the one-arm routing. My issue is I can only have one vlan up at any time. All the other vlan's show as administratively down, and shutdown in the config?? No shut does not fix this.

Any ideas?? If anyone needs some of the config, I will post. Thanks all.

-LLoyd

You should be able to define more than 1 vlan , what you cannot have is more than 1 vlan up for the management interface. The switch will automatically shut the others down. You should be able to define mutliple vlans in the vlan database .
>prompt
type vlan database, enter
vlan x state active

Do this for each vlan you want to create and then assign them to to the ports you want , do not create a virtual interface by
doing a
conf t
int vlan xx

Only do this for the vlan you want to manage the switch in . If you want to route between all vlans then you will have to trunk the uplink to the router if your router has that capability .

Is anything connected to the switch. If you have no active ports on the VLAN the VLAN will be admin down until you have a port confiugred and something connected.

NetEng

You don't need any vlan interface on your switch. The layer3 end of routing between the vlans will be done on your 7204 router.

The vlan interface on a layer2 switch is the management interface, and is only used for remote configuration of the switch. You can't have more than one active at any time, only layer3 switches can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back