Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator privileges - Windows 7 Home 64 bit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

debful

Technical User
Nov 10, 2002
AU
I am trying to run "Fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x:" from the CMD prompt as I am trying to find out the bytes per sector on a new External Hard Drive 3T Seagate that I have just purchased (as I am unable to use the Windows Backup program as I get an error message). However when I hit enter I get an error message saying that I must have Administator rights to run that cmd. I have checked under users and I am the only person listed on my computer and it shows me as Administrator. It is a home computer running Windows 7 Home SP1. Any ideas as to why I am unable to run this command? Help greatfully accepted. Debbie

How to start an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7 and Vista

Remember these handy hints too for the future where you need elevated rights.

Try right-clicking on the shortcut to the program, or the .exe, and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

Try right-clicking on the actual Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

You might be an Admin but most of your rights and privileges are only that of a Standard user (by design).

Have a look at what these say about 4K Sector size on later hard drives.

Microsoft support policy for 4K sector hard drives in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back