Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

administrator denied access to folders in win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2002
US
Recently, my company migrated from Novell 5.0 to Windows 2000 Server. I have set up one server to handle all file sharing. In one of the group shares there are folders in which the administrator has been denied access to change the rights or remove sub files\folders. I have tried to go up one level where the permissions are accurate and propagate them down but I keep receiving the message that access is denied. I am denied from taking ownership from these files and cannot gain control even when logged on as the owner. Any ideas? Thank for the help.

Take ownership of the folder by going to Security\Advance\OwnerHighlight the new owner and check replace owner on subdir.

Then,
On the Advance\permission tab
Check the reset permission on all childs...

Sometimes, the migration does not change the permissions accurately and all the permissions need to be reset.

Hope this helps,

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

I've done that much on my folder/file ownership issue.

I've taken ownership of 1900 folders and tens of thousands of child objects. With that accomplished, I've been able to fix permissions properly on all of those objects using xcacls.exe and subinscl.exe from the w2k resource kit. Now I want to give ownership back to the proper owner of each folder.

Taking ownership is relatively easy. How do I assign ownership to someone else in Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back