Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator changed permissions.He Can't enable again for me? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2003
GB
We have been using a Front end/back end database for 3 years now. Recently I have developed a front end with read-only queries to be used on the shop floor. Our IT manager has changed permissions to further protect the data. Initially a few read write users were locked out but after a few permission changes late Friday, things seemed ok.
First thing Monday the production planning queries (these need read write permissions)were reported to have stopped running. They were responding as if the data had been made read only. I then tried to open the back end directly (data.mdb) but it reported a read only database.
The IT Man insists he has not changed things. File permissions look ok when he shows me them. He tried removing all permissions and then adding me with full control but even then it says that data.mdb is read-only when I tried to open it. I can copy the data.mdb to data2.mdb and re-link the front end to data2.mdb and it works. I have 20 user with this front end.
I was considering just deleting and renaming the copied Data2.mdb to data.mdb (to allow users to carry on using there front ends without the need to update to the latest Version) but the original data.mdb cannot be deleted as it says there is a sharing violation, there is no lock file evident so I assume something has corrupted. What could cause this? Is it possible that changing permissions was carried out on the data.mdb while it was open and this caused the problem?

A few things to check:

Someone or something has the db open exclusively?

The network share the db is on might be very full?

Are you able to compact/repair the db?

If not, are you able to run the MS util JetComp on it?

mp9
I returned to the office to find file access restored, My IT man has not changed anything he assures me. The first hint I had was seeing data.ldb file in the directory??? Anyway users with appropriate permissions are now able to open there queries.

AFAIK none has been given exlusive rights to open in MSAccess.

7.12gb spare

I have compacted front end now I have file access again, I will do data.mdb when convenient IE not in use!

If the Saga unfolds I will repost.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back