Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator Can't install files on XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroger

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2008
US
I am at about wits end on this issue. Here is the problem.

We have Group Policies set up on some of our computers to lock them down. I need to install some software on one of the computers and log into to my account (which has admin access). I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information, open Event Viewer or contact your system administrator. "

So I log into the actual Administrator account. Same thing. I checked the group policy and I couldn't see what could be causing the issue (I didn't set up the group policy, it predates me, so it is possible I missed something).

I moved the computer to a different group in Active Directory where the group policy isn't valid and run into the same issue.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Here is the full info on the error message from the Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date: 11/6/2008
Time: 8:11:39 AM
User: GACL\eroger
Computer: IMRS-HPERD1-N
Description:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {91814EC0-B5F0-11D2-80B9-00104B1F6CEA}. The error:
"Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information, open Event Viewer or contact your system administrator. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Engine\6\INTEL3~1\IKernel.exe -Embedding
For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Thank you for your help!

Have you checked out these type of articles?

Using Software Restriction Policies to Protect Against Unauthorized Software

How To Use Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Software Restriction Policies

Description of the Software Restriction Policies in Windows XP

reset security settings

Have a read of the "Admin lockout" in this thread too.

How to launch reg file
thread779-1040119

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back