Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator cannot see shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadriver

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2004
US
Howdy-

I am a newbie admin for a Win2k server with 8 workstations. The user accounts "see" the shared folders on the server, but the administrator account cannot, either at the workstations, or at the server.

When I set up new users, they also cannot "see" the shared resources.

Is this a DNS problem? When I use NSLOOKUP at the server it states that the domain cannot be found. The server has forward lookup zones configured, but not reverse, and the workstations are given IPs by DHCP.

Should I give the workstations static IPs and reconfigure the forward and reverse zones?

Any ideas are most welcome.

Thanks!

I might be over-simplifying, but did you try to map to the shared resources?

Unless you have a config script (or roaming desktops) that you use to push network settings to new users (which most networks with 8 users do not), you would have to add those resources to each machine (or at least navigate through the network).

Just in case:
Right click 'My Computer', click 'Map Network Drive'. After that, it's pretty self-explanatory.

"I would rather have a free bottle in front of me, than a pre-frontal lobotomy..."

-Shrubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back