Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrative Right on Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

monahan

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2006
US
I've an old PC at home running Windows 98. Everything works fine on it but at the weekend I tried to install some software and I got an error message saying that I need administrative rights to install the software. So I right clicked on the start button and sure enough the "Explore All Users" option is not available. The truth is I'm not sure if I ever had admin rights on the machine but I have installed software before. The problem is there is no login which would allow me to login as an administrator. I'm just wondering how can I get administrative rights on the computer? Is it possible? If I had administrative right, how did I lose them?

Thanking you in advance

Mike

win98 doesn't have administrative rights as such - just wondering on the history of your machine - whether its had some policies applied to it (the only way I know of to remove 'admin' rights) - eg, did it use to be on a network on a domain?

I remember getting a similar message years ago... it's just 98 thinking that it's NT...

I rebooted & it went away.

It was never part of a network but I know that I got a virus about a year ago. Maybe that affected the machine in such a way. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back