Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administration via IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXadmin

MIS
Sep 17, 1999
US
We are in the process of upgrading some of our Nortel Meridian systems and along with the upgrade is the capability to administer the system with IP. Our Nortel partner is telling us that the IP connection does not want to see broadcast traffic which will lock up the system.

I can not believe that anything attached to an IP network would not work with broadcasts.

Any comments on this? Has anyone else heard this?

Thank you.

Tom

It will work just fine with broadcast on the "ELAN" segment, if you don't mind the accasional INI. Keep in mind the ELNK interface on the PBX is only 10M half duplex and its only used for communication between the PBX and Nortel applications.

The no broadcast rule is to prevent saturation of the ELNK interface which prevents the PBX from delivering and/or receiving polling messages from the associated peripherals attached to that interface.

You don't need the ELAN. Check out the SCM-16. Up to 16 SDI/ TTY ports. A corp I used to work for had a no modem policy to implement by '06, never finished but they shipped these to every site. SCM-16 is commonly refered to as a "TIP Server"
Secure Console Manager.

wti.com

Hope this helps, left the corp before I had it totally setup, but it is nice, about the size of a small KVM.

It's not that the device won't work on an IP network, it's that it will put out and receive too many packets to process. So it will hose up. What they are talking about is sub-netting it out (have it on a different V-LAN for example) so that it does not see other network traffic.

Take the Nortel's rep advice. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

No broadcast on the ELAN interface of the PBX. Use different V-LANs for the E-LAN and T-LAN.

Seeing spanning tree on the port that our ELAN was connected to was the problem for us....the link between Call Pilot and the 81C get dropping.

Once Spanning Tree was disabled the connection stabilized. Not exactly sure why Spanning Tree was causing an issue for the ELAN and I'm not a Network Eng. but, that was the fix for us.

The thing with broadcast is true, and Nortel is not the only equipment with ip that has a problem with broadcast. But broadcasts is there and you have to deal with it as long as you want to setup ELNK on the CS from a adminstration point of view you need a router mechanism to prevent the layer2 broadcast. If you are only intended to administrate the CS with IP and don't want to implement a routing functionality you could always buy a Lantronix adapter to convert RS-232 to IP. It the same anyway, unless you use OTM.

i2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back