Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administration Assistant for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am an Oracle newbie.

Quick question.

In the "Administration Assistant for Windows" the default on startup\shutdown options for a database seem to be not selected. Would this effectively mean it would do a Shutdown Abort when the service stops (i.e on shutdown of server)?

Is better to set it to something cleaner like shutdown immediate?

I have had a look on the oracle website to find what the default setting of nothing actually does - but i cant seem to find anything? Am i looking at the correct place? I have tried Tahiti.

Any advice greatly recieved.

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Where are you finding the "Administration Assistant for Windows"? Never heard about it. Is it third party software?

The default when nothing is selected is SHUTDOWN NORMAL

Or is it the Enterprise Manager Database Console?
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Err... no its its a standard Oracle 10g app. Find attached screenshot

and documentation:

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Ohhh. Windoze stuff.
[thumbsdown]

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

LOL! I thought the name of the app gave it away!

Anyone got any advice on the above?

On Windoze, you have two things for the database:
a) The Oracle service and
b) The database instance

Starting/stopping the Oracle service will startup/shutdown(immediate) the database.

Now, with sqlplus you can shutdown/startup the database but the Oracle service must be started to do that.
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back