Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrate NT from XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy64

Technical User
Apr 29, 2003
GB
Hi there.

Most of our company servers currently run on NT 4.0 (upgrading soon!). However some of our client machines are now starting to run on XP Pro. All well and good.

We'd like to get our Helpdesk up & running on XP Pro too now, but a stumbling block I have come to is on Client Based Admin Tools - specifically User Manager.

I've seen that XP Pro comes with lusrmgr.msc. This function would be great if I could somehow 'import' our users from the User Manager on our PDC but I can't see how you can do that. I can create a new GROUP which includes all the users on our domain but you can't open them up individually to work on passwords etc.

Does anybody know if exporting from NT to XP is possible for administration purposes?

My work around for the moment is a shortcut to the application on the NT server but any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Poppy64

I usually just take a copy of usrmgr.exe from the NT server and paste it somewhere on the Windows XP machine. It still picks up all the same accounts. Is this what you're looking for or am I missing the point??!

I'll give it a try. I did think of copying all the usrmgr files across from an NT machine to this XP machine but (being absolutely honest) I didn't think it would work because of the NT Client Admin Tools set up failing previously. So I didn't bother.

However I shall try and will feed back how it goes.

<Sometimes it really can be that simple eh...?>

Poppy64

By the way - this worked! Thanks

Poppy64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back