Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administer NT PDC's from an NT Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

treble99

Technical User
Jul 25, 2000
GB
I would like to administer (i.e. assign users rights, add new-users etc.) from a remote NT workstation instead of performing these operations directly on the servers which are located in the data room. Is there any way of accomplishing this.

Many thanks

Hey.
You can use User Manager for Domains on client PCs. There is a kit with a variety of utilities on it, I think its called 'Power Tools'. I don't remember where exactly I got it, maybe it was on the Resourse CD or the MS website.
You could also at MASSIVE cost use a Citrix server, and connect as administrator, using a published desktop. this allows you to do everything remotely that you can do locally on that server, including that which you mentioned.
But I don't seriously suppose you spend that kind of readies for that but if you have other reasons for using the power of Citrix, problem solved, just got to get ££££££ passed your Financial Director!!
pritch.

If you look on the Windows NT Server CD, you will find a directory called CLIENTS\SRVTOOLS\WINNT.

There is a file called SETUP.BAT which copies all of the remote administration tools to your %systemroot%\system32 directory. ( Run this on your workstation )

You then just have to create shortcuts to the relevant applications.

Hope this helps.

Rik

To Pritch5000 and RichardMoran

Many thanks guys I shall give these solutions a try, thanks for taking time out to reply to my query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back