Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

admin unable to update some groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb123

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Guys,

Here's a weird one. I have a admin user who is able to modify some groups but not all of them.

I've been through her permissions and she should be able to modify all users and groups.

any clues?

fyi we are 8.9

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

This gets weird.....

I added the admin to one of the groups that she couldn't alter as a member and all the others opened up.... :eek:

beats me..... this stuff is strange....

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

An easy way to give a user access to all users is the access all users privilege under other privileges. Don't exactly understand your issue though.

We had something similar

Our admin is set up so different roles (form designer, evaluator, etc. are seperate groups and people added to one or more as required).

If I remember correctly, the fix was to add the administrators to all of the groups. The downside to this is that your administrators can now access form design (different staff in our organisation), however, we made sure administrators only had the icon on their desktop for the administrator.

Hope this helps

DD

Just another comment about privileges is that we've had to create all profiles from scratch as one of our BA's went through the default profiles and found something along the lines that Administrators couldn't assign query profiles to users or something stupid like that because the query profile has a privilege that the admin didn't. I can't remember the exact profiles or privileges this affects but yeah, we've started from scratch and defined four completely new profiles for most sites.

One thing to note with this is do not delete default profiles as installations such as the web installation will not fully run without default profiles installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back