Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin tool on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavyDman

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
ZA
Hi

Does Solaris 8 have and admin tool similar to smit (AIX) or scoadmin (SCO)? If so, what is it called?

Cheers

Hi, I wish to add or ask something here. I find Solaris 8 frustrating when it comes to hardware info collection. Being a regular HP UX user, I get the choice of choosing between SAM, ioscan and xstm. I just want to know the device path for my CD-ROM on a Sun workstation...but I don't know where to look. Please help.

/usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/prtdiag is one of the best places to get a system configuration summary, but it doesn't have the information you're looking for.

ls -l /dev/sr0 should point you in the right direction. That may be a symbolic link to another device, in which case an ls -l /dev/dsk/cNtNdNsN of that device would show you the link to the /devices tree.

For example:

[tt]$ ls -l /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jul 4 2001 /dev/sr0 -> dsk/c0t1d0s2
$ ls -l /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Jul 4 2001 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2 -> ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/sd@1,0:c
$[/tt] Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back