Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin to User Account Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrblonde

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have a User who has been using the Administrator account for some time. He has made modification\adjusted settings in a few of his programs. (Word, Excel, and A program called the Edge) I need to get him on to his own account with out losing the settings he has created in his programs. I created him his own login but the OS treated him like he had never logged into Excel before, prompting for his initials etc, bringing up the help prompt etc. The big issue is the Edge program. The thing I don't understand is that the target is the same, I tried just copying the launch file from the admins\desktop folder to this guys desktop folder but it isn't keeping the settings... Is there a way to do this?

Any help would be great, this user is the owners kid and mad as heck. Thanks...

Refer to thread616-205623
Check out the post I made concerning editing the registry. Click on that link, follow it to the T, works like a charm!
Sometimes needs a reboot after.

jeremy,

I checked out the link and I'm not sure this is what I need to do. I need to give him his own login, but I need him to keep all the settings for this Edge program. The Edge target is in C:\AES\Edge.exe. How is changing that Registry Value going to accomplish this and what value would I add? It says path, on the link... A little confused about the registry...

Thanks for the ultra quick response though...

What this does is point the storage location of the profile to the old profile. Once you have created the new profile, pointing to the old will keep all the settings the user had previously ie. "OS treated him like he had never logged into Excel before, prompting for his initials etc". If you have already changed all of this with the new user, you should be fine w/o the registry edit. If you are at all uneasy about the registry, nevermind my previous post, things can get pretty messed up editing the registry. When you created a new user, program settings should stay the same, you might just need to change his user privledges.
Hope this clears things up!

You might try copying the conents of his old profile into and over the top of the new profile. I do not believe he will reinherit the the Admin rights and perms. You will get a couple of error during the copy, but this is normal because the ntuser.dat and the other profile file in the root of the each users profile folder (\Docs & Settings\%username%) will not copy over.

I think what you need to do is assign the administrators profile to that users profile. Look at this tid from Microsoft: Q156568. That should give that users profiles all of the settings from the administrators profile.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back