Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin Share 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
US
Does anyone know how to create the Admin Share C$?
I want to be able to browse //<mycomputername>/C$ when I am logged in as Administrator.
The reason I ask is because I see Admin Share C$ on computers, but I can't browse to them using the computer name or the IP address, yet I still see them. So I was going to delete the existing shares and add them again to see if that solves the issue.

Does the account that you're trying to use (Administrator) have a password?

PS - a couple other tidbits that I forgot to mention: Simple File Sharing needs to be turned off and you can't connect to the admin share by IP address. (But my guess is still the lack of a password for the user account)

I tested this just now and was able to browse an admin share using the IP address (i.e. \\192.168.0.100\C$). So I don't believe that's part of the issue.

Like smah said though, make sure you have "Simple File Sharing" disabled. You'll find that under My Computer and then "Tools->Options->View tab". Firewalls can also block access, so check those settings if needed (or disable them temporarily as a test).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Yup.... it seems that I'm wrong about not being able to browse the admin shares by IP address.

Actually the correct syntax uses back-slashes not forward slashes.

Good luck,

Agreed, you have to use the correct UNC formatting which as stated is \\ and not //

* for Ihuegele for his post.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back