Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin server clustering

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyny

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2009
US
Hello All,
Just found this great outside KC forum here :).

I am looking to cluster Admin Server. We have a clustered vertically scaled front end and I am looking to cluster Admin server.

Meaning, we want to have 2 admin server's in seperate machine and if one fails over then the other one should take over the admin tasks.

Is there any guide in KC that can explain the steps on this. Have any of you done this and if so can you post the steps?

We asked support on this and they told contact PS :)

Thanks, Dirk.

Dirk,
I've done this with several customers using Microsoft Clustering for the Admin server to deliver what you want, its a relatively simple setup if you have someone who knows LL and Windows Clustering.

This is usually done by PS as it can be a little bit interesting to set up, and can cause issues if not done right.

Top level is as follows :

Install on Node A to the shared drive
Roll server to Node B
rename install dir on shared drive
Install on Node B to the shared drive with the same settings
Make all the services owned by the cluster
Login via the cluster name and configure LL

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

First off I am a person who has done this and is perhaps very easy to do.But here's the caveat emptor on this.usually on a single admin server the search processes have many things to do.to oversimplify things there is a data extractor process that is responsible for figuring out new objects /updataed/deleted etc and quesus them to the next guy who is the html converter or tries to fragment and put indexes and then provides them to the third guy who is the update distributor which send these to a index file.The search manager is the guy who your user calls when he/she searches and it knows how to talk to the several partitions of the index and returns results to the user.now lets look at when this admin server is down the user will get no search and no new content will get added to index.So in many installs what you do is share the inex files between two admin servers and keep a redundant search federator running.In this case if the primary guy is down the usert will get no errors because this second admin server will do exactly what the first one would have done.Here's the caveat no new content will be indexed in this system until the data extractor is up and running.In many organizasation this is more than enough since getting a new admin server up and running should not take that long.If you really do not want any of this failing then you have to resort to a triue cluster(read lots of money for the license).In that case the cluster is doing all that is necessary and not livelink.Usually in my experience I do the redundant or secondary admin server.secondary admin servers are always necessary in a growing livelink system as initial hardware is bound to run out in a estimated time.I have needs that I put admin servers every three months....

Note:the procedure is probably a opentext professional services thing and there is an old file in the Kb that gives you the basiscs.Since 9.5 search architecture has changes so all the search components can be added more than once for scaling or redundancy.

Let me know if my notes are needed for adding a second admin server on the above things.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Greg, AppNair - Thanks for your quick response. Simply awesome.

I do not think we will go MSCS route due to budget, skills, etc.

But AppNair approach is very interesting.

Thank You.

Here's a link to what I use.This is a trimmed version and do test it for your own instance and accuracy.

Did that AppNair. I guess it is giving me permission error. Can you please check on this.

Livelink Error: Error processing request.
[Sorry, the item you requested could not be accessed. Either it does not exist or you do not have permission to access it. If you were sent a link to this item, please contact the sender for assistance.]

Sorry I have put See,See Contents for Public.Create yourself a login it is free and you will find a lot of good stuff in livelink there

Thank You AppNair. I was out on conference yesterday. I will review this with my admin and put in place a backup for admin server.

Dirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back