Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin Install source files changed and I cannot update PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2001
US
A recent office update has come in and we'd like to push it through SMS. The problem is, in the past, we've always run windows update manually or ran the exe patch manually. The source of our install files has changed on the network. The older PCs still point to the old location. Normally we would hand enter the new location.

How can I get wrd0901.exe for example to run and look to a specific server for source files when it needs them.

Or

How can I change the path for source files on the workstation, preferrable with SMS.

As it is now we will have to reinstall office on all the machines that are pulling from the old location. That way they will all pull files from the new location and THEN we can run any future update without being prompter for the location of the source files

Are you familiar with SMS Installer? You could build an executable to find the registry setting of the source location and replace it with the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back