Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin Accounts In RHEL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDhouston

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2010
US
I am trying to find out how to add an additional admin account to my boxes with RHEL 5.

What exactly do you mean by 'admin account'? With root-like access?

It is possible to just create another user with UID 0 (either manually or using the useradd -u 0 -o ... options), however I wouldn't recommend it.

A better way is just to have normal user accounts for each admin, and then grant those specific accounts (or an appropriate "admin" group) sudo rights to assume root privileges.

Annihilannic.

You have to be specific as to what administrative functions you want the user accounts to have. Adding groups to wheel might give them certain sudo access which would allow them to do anything as root. You can also lock down what sudo access they have so that they can only start/stop services while preventing them from having full run which is useful for restricting what damage a level 1 tech can do because of inexperience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back