Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adjust Grub

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennyh

Programmer
Sep 22, 2001
US
I'm a newbie with a dual boot system: Ark Linux and WinXP.

My Grub menu has 4 entries:
Ark Linux
Windows 95/98/ME
Windows NT/200/XP
Windows NT/200/XP

The first entry loads Ark Linux. The second entry loads the Dell diagnostics (PC is a Dell). The third entry loads Win XP. The fourth entry loads nothing.

Can you tell me how to adjust/modify Grub so that only 2 entries appear in the
list -- the entry for Ark Linux and the entry for Win XP (corresponding to the current third entry in the list?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lenny

You want to look in /etc/grub.conf and see where your menu.lst is located. Probably in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to remove everything from

Code:
title Windows 95/98/ME

down to (but not including)

Code:
title Windows NT/2000/XP

Then remove the second entry of

Code:
title Windows NT/2000/XP

probably to the end of the file. It will probably have 2 lines associated with the title line that say something like:

Code:
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

that tells the system the disk and partition to make active in order to boot.

pansophic

Pansophic,

Thank you for your helpful response. Using the info you provided, I was able to do exactly what I wanted.

Apparently my system is configured somewhat differently. It appears that the file I needed to change was /boot/grub/grub.conf rather than /boot/grub/menu.lst. In any case, I modified /boot/grub/grub.conf per your instructions resulting in the desired menu modifications.

Thanks for your help

Lenny

That is the trouble with giving detailed answers to many Linux questions. If you aren't using the same distro, things tend to be in different places, sometimes with different names.

Glad that you were able to figure it out!

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back