Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADIC 24 / Dell 132T Tape Library problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

steevej

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2001
US
My Dell 132T/ADIC 24 LTO3 tape library works, drive reads/writes just fine but it was taking a long time to load/eject and giving me 'pick error, clean picker' errors - which means that the gizmo that grabs, carries and loads tapes to the barcode reader and drive is on the fritz.

After several dozen 'picker assy' cleanings and no change, I began to suspect that it might be a loose wire, connector or dirty IR-detector/receiver pair on the picker assy itself, so I grabbed a *10 Torx screwdriver and pulled off the top cover of my library.

What I found inside was a burned (crispy-critter) SMD chip on the picker-gizmo PCB (Printed circuit board) Actually, it's more of an I/O interface PCB as it takes signals and power from a 30-odd pin flat fibbon connector and feeds 2 stepper motors, sensors, IR gate and a switch or two on the picker itself.

So... this whole board is about 6" long by 2" wide, shaped like a tetris block, and has 5 push-on connectors, an IR detector/rcvr pair, an led and a total of 7 chips (SMDs)which are all on top of the board (just under the top cover of the library)

The burned one is closest to the front of the unit, in a straight row with 5 other SMD chips and next to one of the picker boards 2 mounting screws. My problem is I cannot tell what that SMD part was/is supposed to be so I can (hopefully) fix this unit myself.

Choices are Diode, Resistor or Capacitor - or choke/coil(?) I say this because it only 'appears' to have had 2 connections. one at each end like the other SMD nearby.

Can someone out there pull out a schematic of, or open their Dell 132T / ADIC-24 LTO tape library (not DLT or SDLT) and measure a known-good SMD/chip in this position on their units picker board? (turn off power first)

On the image, which shows the picker with top-mounted PCB lying on its left side, there are two small silver dots. horizontally aligned, near the Rt. end of the green PCB. Well, the one on the right is the one that burned on my PCB.

Thanks!
Any help at all is MUCH appreciated

No luck getting any info on this SMD Chip so far.
Anyone out there have a 132T they can pop the cover off of and at least eyeball this/take MACRO picture of for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back