Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADDRESSBYTEWRITEBYSPPMODE FAILS error message...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcon55

Technical User
May 16, 2001
US
Installing an HP Scanjet 5300C scanner to an HP Vectra Series 8 6/400 PC running Windows NT 4.0 SP6a via the Parallel port. When I boot up the machine, an error box keeps popping up with the error ADDRESSBYTEWRITEBYSPPMODE FAILS . I disconnect the scanner from the machine and the error goes away...I called HP and suggested I connect another device to the port, so I connected an HP Laserjet5 to the port and printed fine. They had me rename the file hpppt.dll (this is the parallel printer port test file) to .old. Rebooted again...same problem. Reapplied SP6a and updated the BIOS to HN 02.04. The scanner scans ok, but this annoying message keeps popping up.
Any new suggestions????

I fixed the problem myself by uninstalling the HP Scanner software on the PC, removed all entries from the registry for the scanner and software, and started with a clean slate. One thing I noticed in the registry was there was once another scanner installed on this machine, which I was unaware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back