Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Address Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeysee

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
Currently I have an address table with AddressID, Street, City(lookup), zip
My question is how to prevent duplicated street addresses when an apartment # is involved.
IE: If there is Street address of 100 Main St, But there are 200 apartments in this bldg. I don't want to have a 200 different Main Street entries with the individual apartment #'s.
I want to be able to have the 100 Main St as an individual entry and then have the apartments entered in another field. If I put the Apartment field in the address table, then the 100 Main St will be changed each time an apartment number is entered. (Hope I am making sense!); or there will be 200 different 100 Main St entries

The only option I can think of is to have the Apartment field reside in the client table - since it is unique to the client; Or making a separate table for the apartment # and use it as a look up in the address table? Would that work?

Looking for direction,as I have spent too much time mulling over this. It's probably a very simple solution, but I can't seem to make sense of it.
Thank you for any help!
Deb

You've got it:
"have the 100 Main St as an individual entry [in one table] and then have the apartments entered in another field table."

Have fun.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back