Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additional Voicemail Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody1976

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2005
GB
I hope someone can help me, i have a cx with 4 voicemail ports, i want to take this up to 16, i know i can just program this in the system, but what else do i need.

Surely there must be some licensing or something, as i am thinking that if i can just go from 4 to 16 why not ship with 16! I have been told i need to add a dsp card, firstly i am looking thru my manuals and can not find anything that really explains the nitty gritty of what they do.

I am thinking along the lines of compression, similar to a VCM on IPO, but why is this needed to enable more voicemail ports.

Thanks in advance.

the dsp card provides resources for more voicemail ports in addition to providing compression.

As Mitelpassion states the total number of voicemail ports is dependant on your DSP resources.

I am assuming your CX is a SX200ICP and not a 3300 as the default port count on a 3300 is 20.

On a 200 from maintenence use Reports/Show/Status/VMAIL Ports (or something close to that)

It will display the status of only as many ports as your system can handle with the available DSP resources.

No it is a 3300, CX/CXi ship with 4 ports

The default vm port count on a CX/CXi with no additional DSP resources is 4.

Learned something new today.

I'll have to watch out for that.

Does anybody know if i can cheat and up the ports to 8 with no additional dsp, what would be the outcome if i done this does anybody know/tried it?

You will get a minor alarm about dsp resources and voicemail ports. And the extra ports won't work.

If you have a T1/E1 combo card installed and are using no G729 compression, you can use all 16 v'mail ports, as the combo card also has DSP's on board

No i am not using any compression all handsets are in the same compression zone, i will give this a go, i take it is a full reboot to initailize this? And yes as it is a CX it is a T1/E1 card not dual framer module, it is one of the new resilient ones though if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back