Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

additional unwanted selection of operating system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blom0344

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
NL
I used my original XP CD to run an update against the existing installed version of the operating system.
This ran into an error which when googled returned no information (anj3c7ys.sys not found)
Now each time upon booting I get the option between the installed XP and a windows setup. Within 3-5 seconds the windows setup option starts and the error reappears. Any idea how to get rid of the windows setup option after booting?

Ties Blom

Edit the boot.ini file in the root of C:\ but be careful. You have to make it NOT read only first. Then make a backup copy of (boot.bak). You want to REM out the line that is incorrect and calling for setup. If you do this incorrectly, the system will not boot and you will have to boot to a utility CD to replace the backup of boot.ini.

If you have any doubts, do NOT proceed OR post the boot.ini here for analysis first. Fair warning.

Code:
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Windows Setup"

on a second laptop (same operating system):

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Ties Blom

Edit the afflicted machine's boot.ini as follows and reboot:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
REM Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
REM C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Windows Setup"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back