Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

additional domain controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

subahar

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
AE
Dear All,
I am having one win2k DC and 60 win2K &XP clients.I want to add one backup server on my network,ie if my primary DC fails then the backup server needs to take care of logon. How i can implement this on my network?

Thanks

Subahar

This is not very difficult at all. Just do a Win2k Server install to the machine you will use, and when given the option to create a new domain or join an existing domain, choose the latter and it will pull all the AD information over during the install. Once your install is done, you can run dcdiag and netdiag to verify that all is well as a domain controller and your good to go.

J

Thanks for that Smokin. But what about the DNS configuration? Because the DNS server is installed on DC, is the DNS info also get replicate on this process?

Thanks

Subahar

If you make your DNS zone AD integrated, it will replication with the rest of the AD database.

emiller52 is correct, it will replicate if it is AD integrated. This is accomplished by right clicking on the zone you wish to be AD integrated, choosing properties, and on the 'general' tab, click the change button near the top, where it says 'type' from the change window choose 'Active Directory Integrated' This will cause the zone to be stored in AD and it will replicate out to your new DC.

Jay

Thanks for that.Current setup is having DNS is intergrated with AD. SO i think it will be stright forward. ANyhow i will try this on monday ans will get back to you all.

Thanks

Subahar

What about printing?

I have one Win2k Server running AD and also the print server for 10 network printers. I am setting up a second DC like stated above but was wonder how it would be best to migrate the printing if the main DC were to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back