Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding XP systems to an existing network

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2data

Instructor
Jan 21, 2002
CA
has anyone any experience adding windows XP systems into an existing windows 98 workgroup?
can't seem to make them see the other Win 98 systems at all!

Yes, I have a small group running with an XP machine, a win98, and two win ME machines. The hardest part is you still must "match" workgroups. XP hides everthing in a wizard, but you can tell it to go back to traditional setup and don't forget that the connection (network) will not happen immediately. Trust your setup and be prepared to wait for a network broadcast from XP to populate your lan. I used TCP/IP as base language, and also when XP tells you to make a disk and install it in each machine you have to do it. XP does try to prevent network "theft" and you must install the security layer from XP or you'll never get them sharing anything. I love WIN 98.

Hmm.

I installed an XP machine (two) into an existing network with Win2K, NT4, Win95, and Win98 boxes on it.

Never had to install any "XP disk" on the other machines. All came up fine.

Of course my network was all TCP/IP before XP came in the door. Watch for NetBEUI and IPX - and in most cases eradicate it. That's my guess, your 9x machines have the Client for Workgroups bound to IPX or NetBEUI.

You want the 9x boxes to be set up for network (workgroup) logons too.

Oh yeah, and I find that a
Code:
net send /domain:xxx Hello there
from the command prompt (where xxx is your workgroup name) seems to get the ball rolling too when you need some NetBIOS discovery broadcasts sent out.

I think the disks kdmri is talking about are for ICS, which I don't use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back