Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding workgroup computers to an AD Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginaldMeyer

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
US
Forum members,

I am setting up an AD Domain network. I have a five machines that existed in a workgroup environment prior to setting up the new server.

I want to connect these workgroup machines to the AD domain as say regular Domain users with right to certain shares but I do not want them to loose all of their desktop settings and admin rights to their own computers. I have added the domain account to the local account.

Note: Thanks to user PBXMAN for a tip

They still must logon to the local machine instead of the domain. If anyone has gone through this type of situation I could use a few tips, tricks or instructions.

Thanks

Not to worry . When you add the computers to the doamin the settings for the local account's on the pc's will be the same icons , folders , desktop settings ,after you join them with the domain , When you do add the computers to your domain you will have the option on the computers to log on localy or log on to the domain , But in active directory as well as your shares you could give permissions to what and who could do what in user accounts , instead of going nuts with a ton of clicks just create a group or groups called what ever you may choose and give the permissions that way to a group is a hell of alot easyer than doing it buy one user acount at a time active directory easy of administration over a workgroup ...............
Have fun Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

log on with an administrators account. start>settings>control panel>system>user profiles tab
Copy the local user profile to the domain profile. right click my computer>manage>users>right click user>properties>profile tab. Direct the local user profile path to the domain user profile path. Give the local user full access to the domain user profile path in NTFS permissions.

Does this help?

Thank you very much to both users for their help.

Question to Seaspray0:I have tried to do what you are describing. If I copy the local profile to the domain server and the domain profile what folder do I choose to place it in?

When you use the COPY TO option it allows you to navigate to a specific folder only and I am not sure which folder I should choose. Is it in the SysVol share?

Thanks again for the help.

Use Bob as an example. He will have two profiles... Bob and Bob.domain in the local machine profiles folder. Use the "copy to" in the system properties/profiles to copy his local profile to the Bob.domain folder (will give the domain account all the local stuff). You can redirect the local account to use profile path of Bob.domain (local machine>manage>users) so both the local and domain accounts will use the same profile (Bob.domain). Make sure and give the local account full NTFS permissions to the Bob.domain profile folder and subfolders. If you are using roaming profiles, the server will tell you where you are storing the Bob.domain profile (use this in the copy to), otherwise it will be on the local computer. Reguardless, still redirect the local account to the Bob.domain path stored locally. Roaming profiles store a cached copy locally and the roaming profile path is not available when logged in locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back