Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding wireless router to lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkybee

Programmer
May 15, 2001
GB
I am trying to add a wireless router to my current lan. I have one computer connected directly to the internet via a usb cable modem. This and another computer are then connected to a switch allowing the other computer to access the internet. I have a netgear WGR614 wireless router which I want to add to the network to allow wireless devices to connect to the internet, nameley a PS3 and a laptop. However, the instructions for the netgear wireless router are only for adding it to a computer that has an ethernet cable modem connection. I had assumed it would be a case of swapping the switch for the router but this does not work.

I would prefer not to change my cable modem usb connection to an ethernet one (although I have tried and failed) so any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Sounds like the quickest fix would be to fix the or buy a modem so that it can use ethernet. That way you can use just the wireless router as the router for DCHP plus you should have about 5 ports for physical connections.

All the wireless router needs is an IP that can be routed to the internet. Not sure but if you give the wireless router an IP like your 2nd box it might be able to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back