Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Win2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetDummy

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
MY
Hi,
I have an existing NT4 network and want to add a SQL Server to the network. However, I want to use Win2K server as the platform and installing SQL Server on top.

Accounts on the existing network will need access to the SQL Server for transactions. What would be the best way for me to approach this? There is no immediate plan to upgrade the existing NT4 Servers until much later.

Should I set up a separate domain for the Win2K server and add trust relationships between the domains, or, should I join the new Win2K server to the existing NT4 domain? Thanks for any helps or pointers.

You can install a Win2K server as a 'standalone server' (well in fact it will be standalone by default)
Do NOT run dcpromo on it (otherwise you will probably make it a domain controller)
Since it is a member of the domain, you will be able to use the NT domain account to secure your SQL server installation.

Good luck

Peter Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back