Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Wifi to a small home network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbarrett

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2015
US
So I am very happy with my current router and due to some tasks I perform through work I cannot change it. Only problem with the router is that it does not have wireless. What is my best option for adding Wifi to my network? An access point? Or just another router?

Whichever you can pick up the cheapest. Any router can work as an AP, just turn off the DHCP server in it, and wire it lan to lan. Configure the wireless, and remember to change the default log in for admin rights to something else. I use a router for an AP in my house, because I found a nice netgear WNDRMAC (same as the WNDR3700v2 except for apple mac) Just has some apple stuff I turn off, because I don't have use apple. But when you can buy a $150.00 router for under $20.00 you buy it. Works like a champ.

This would be detailed procedure to use a router as an access point:
Router1 is your existing (wired router) and Router2 is the other router with wireless.
1) Connect one computer, by wire, to a LAN port on Router2.
2) Power up Router2 and the computer.
3) Login to Router2 admin console and make the following changes:
a) set "Local IP address" to 192.168.1.2 (or whatever your ip addressing scheme is. This assumes that you are not using this address elsewhere in your network)
b) set DHCP server to "disabled".
c) click on the "Save Settings" button, then wait (3 to 60 seconds) for the screen to refresh. You will probably be disconnected from the router at this point in time. Do not worry about this. Power down your entire network.
4) Next, wire any LAN port on the Router1 to any LAN port on Router2. Do not connect anything to the Internet port of the Router2.
5) Power up your network. Connect PC to Router1 again. You should be able to access the 2nd router at the new ip address.
6) Login to Router2 and set your wireless settings.
Additional settings: Note that Router1 will control all the usual router settings (DHCP server, port forwarding, etc). Router2 will only control wireless access. Also note that all the remaining wired LAN ports on both routers will behave the same.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back