Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding vMCD's to solve resource problems in the cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

begems

Technical User
Dec 19, 2003
BE
Hi all,

Short version: customer has 7 MxeIII expanded systems version 6.0SP3, about 20 E1 connections spread over all these Mxe's, 800 sip trunks (2 times 400 to a vMBG), 1400 pixel based (5320 and 5330) devices (200 full ip that we still need to add, 1200 device only for hotdesking) and around 1250 hotdesk users. Of course there are hunt-groups, ring groups, pickup groups, ...
There's no embedded voicemail used because they have a MAS server with Nupoint.

Because the expanded controllers could handle 1400 users, all users and devices are on 2 controllers: one of them has a minor memory alarm...

We decided to roll out two new vMCD's. They can handle 5000 users, so we should be able to put all users on 1 system with another vMCD on a remote site as a backup. No worries about the link between the sites.

And than my problem: I need to write the steps to follow to add these 2 new vMCD's with the lowest downtime possible.

The easiest way: setting up a lab system, but where the hell can I find 7 Mxe's and all additional hardware to set up the 2 vMCD's?

The hard way: I was thinking about taking backups from the 2 user systems (backupA1 and backupB1) and load them one by one into a single controller (getting the necassery licenses on this one is another issue to tackle).
Next I would delete everything that has to do with users/devices/groups on that separate controller and take backups A2 and B2.
These can be restored lateron the existing user controllers, that will become trunk gateways in the new situation.
Again I should start from A1 and B1 to delete all trunking information and I can take backups A3 and B3. These should be restored on the new virtual MCD's.

How tricky will this restore be... Here I mean the GUID and other stuff attributed to my users, the CEID index that I need to change into another one before taking my final user backups A3 and B3, ... all the things I forgot.

Exporting/Importing is another thing I can do, but I need to be absolutely sure I don't miss a single bit of configuration.

And one more thing: should I go for the 5000 user systems? This includes the cluster has to be upgraded to version 7.0, but implies I only need 2 ip addresses for the MiVoice Business (that's what they are called from version 7.0) systems.

Someone who did exactly the same exercise last week? :)

Any comments are very welcome!

I know this is a very short answer for such a detailed post but....

Mitel have all the necessary hardware/software to lab this in their environment.
You could see what it would cost for their team to take your data and do what you ask, then give it back to you to restore.

I nearly went down that path when I was migrating 2 separate clusters in to one but didn't need to once MCD 6 provided removing elements via maintenance commands.

I know my post is not very helpful but I'm sure others here will be able to assist as I haven't done anything like this before.

I would probably just add them to the cluster ( step 1)
Purchase and Setup license manager for license sharing
Then i don't think you have any choice but to delete them from where they are and then reprogram them at the new site.
I would do them in stages .

You would have to do exports of key assignments any group memberships , rerouting .

keys can be imported as not assigned to remove them , group membership can be bulk deleted .
users can be bulk deleted
then the exported data can have the guids removed and be imported into the virtual server

I certainly don't envy the task and am glad im not doing it .. sorry

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back