Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding USB ports to Compaq DL580

Status
Not open for further replies.

tap1946

Technical User
Nov 16, 2005
US
Has anyone added aftermarket (non Compaq) PCI boards to a Compaq DL580 to get USB ports. If so, is there anything out of the ordinary in doing so or do I just have to put the board in a compatible PCI slot and install proper drivers?

While I can always transfer into to the server via the network, there are some administrative tasks that would go easier if I could plug pocket USB devices into the server and transfer directly. Need is minimal so solution needs to be relatively cheap.

tap1946

Hello,
I`m new here but maybe my experiences will help you.
I´m owner of an old 1850R which I equipped with a noname PCI-USB2.0 card (4x ext / 2xint )got via ebay for a few bucks. After having a test installed XP also Server2003 there was a autodetect of the card ( ALI chipset )and easy to use all function.
Measured bandwith on this port was app. 26MB/s due to the slow external testdevice. I´m sure that the combination of PCI-slot and suitable driver will work on other servers, too.

Maybe this helps you....

Greetings norbertt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back