Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Uninstalling/Repairing shortcuts to startmenu

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseNewbie

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
AU
Hi,

I bought WISE v5.2 Standard a month ago and i'm still learning the ropes. I was wondering if anyone knows how i can add a Uninstall <Application> and Repair <Application> shortcut to the start menu in our application folder there? Thats to invoke the MSI functions instead of having to goto Add/Remove programs...

You can add the following two shortcuts...

Repair: [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe /fomus [ProductCode]

Remove: [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe /X [ProductCode]

Use the unadvertised command-line shortcut option.

The /fomus parameter can be changed according to the SDK to repair or not repair particular bits and pieces. You can also add a /qb at the end to make it more silent.

HtH,

Rob

-Focus on the solution to the problem, not the obstacles in the way.-

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I was about to drop the idea of having it!

How do i add it to the shortcuts list? I'm using Wise Installer v5.2 and if i untick &quot;Advertised&quot; i get asked to choose a file from my file list, ofcourse the file isnt there. What shall I do? I tried using the command line but it buggered up my other shortcuts in that component.

I'd be interested in knowing exactly what happened to your other shortcuts.

You could create a separate feature and put all your shortcuts in there to separate them from your advertised shortcuts.

Installation Expert -> Shortcuts -> Add -> Click &quot;Command Line&quot; -> fill in the path to the executable and the parameters using quotes as needed -> put in a shortcut name -> Click Next -> Find a location in the start menu (I would probable create a new folder underneath your program's start menu folder called &quot;Maintenance&quot; -> Click Finish -> Confirm that everything is how it should be on the next screen -> Click OK.

Regards,

Rob

-Focus on the solution to the problem, not the obstacles in the way.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back