Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding to telephone network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Here is the scenario: Original building is being extended to house an additional 6 or 8 workstations. For the computers, by far the easiest option is to add a hub to the nearest existing network point, and cable out to the new points from there. As a general rule, can the same be done with the existing digital telephone system? Are there hubs/switches available for phone systems, or would it be necessary to run 6 or 8 new cables right back to the original patch panel?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Not knowing the model of the telephone system that you are using, I would have to guess that you will have to cable back to the nearest Intermediate Distribution Frame, or possibly, even back to the Main Frame. If the work is done during construction, the cost will not be excessive. Get your telephone vendor involved in the process as soon as possible in the building project so that any potential troubles can be eliminated or minimized. You may want him to pull the data cable, if he is qualified.

Thanks for the response fonman... If they exist, I guess hubs for a phone system are likely to be pretty expensive, so I'll look towards cabling right back to the patch panel.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back