Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding to and deleting form a recordset

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalina36

Programmer
Aug 28, 2000
US
Is it possible to add records to and delete records from a recordset comprised of two or more inner joined tables? In case it matters, I'm using the VB6 data control connected to an Access database.

Thanks.
[sig][/sig]

I don't believe so -- try this test:

Create two simple tables in Access with just one field in each table (same type as length). Enter a few records in each table with a couple of records having the same value. For example,

Table1 has 1,2,3,4
Table2 has 2,4

Create a new Select Query and join both tables and run it. You should get two records (2 and 4).

Try to add records or delete one of them in the datasheet result. You won't be able to!

I might be wrong but as far as I know, Joined tables can never be updated in any way shape or form!
[sig]<p> Tarek<br><a href= > </a><br>The more I learn, the more I need to learn![/sig]

Is it safe to assume then that the recordsets of joined tables (i.e. dynasets and snapshots) can only be used for reporting while the recordsets of individual tables (i.e. dynasets and tables) can be edited, added to and deleted from?

Jon
[sig][/sig]

Hi, let me join this as i need to know them as well. What my view was that i use Recordsets of joined tables are to be used to retrieve information u want to show (to an extent u r right to say - reports) in forms, or data u might be interested to work on in ur validations.
I can bet, there are more views for this than these...vijay [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back