Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding things up in inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorns

Technical User
Apr 8, 2004
CA
Hi guys! I'm hoping one of you has an answer for me on this...
My inventory database is set up now except for one thing. If someone wants to enter a certain book and they have 20 copies of it, how can I put that in so that there isn't a new entry for every one of them? It needs to either add itself up or hopefully do it when I search.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Thorns

Nobody can make you feel inferior withought your consent. Not even MS Access.

Not sure how you set up your database but you would want to have a field for the number of books instead of having duplicate entries for the same book

Fred

Ok I guess what I'm seeing here is that I can have a field named quantity...and I'll just have to tell the woman who will be using this database to make sure that when she adds a book that's already in there she does the math herself and changes the amount of them?

Thorns

Nobody can make you feel inferior withought your consent. Not even MS Access.

EIther that or you can have another table linked to the book table - Perhaps called "stock" or something like that - What you could do in that table is have fields like:

Date in Inventory
Date sold

to name just a few -

If you needed to know how many of the book you have in stock, you would run a query of only those that do not have a sold date - or perhaps you also add a "status" field in the stock table with options like "instock" and "sold" - then you would run the query on all that are "instock" to get the number of books.

I think that is how I would approach it. What you would do is set up a form with the main book table (which has all of the data about the book) and add a sub-form that is for the "stock" table - the user can pull up the book information on the main form and the sub-form will populate with all of the activity in the stock table - therefore, they just have to update the stock form with the info on the new stock

Hope that helps!!

Fred

One more thing regarding my proposed "stock" table - you would have to use a field to link the stock table to the original book table - that will be the key to making it work

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back