Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding software advertisements/collections pc vs groups??

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US
Curious how most people are doing advertisements and packages in sms 2003...

IE: I create a new package.. then I make the advertisement and create a collection say called "Software X".

So in that collection I add any groups/users that I need.

However, I'd like to start switching to adding computer names instead, so that if another user logs onto the same machine, the software is already installed and usable.

But for group type situations, this isnt practical, as I'd have to add, say 20 computer names.

It would be nice if there was a way to have computer names in a group, so that computer group could be added... or is there some other way people are doing this or is everyone just doing the user based method instead?

Thanks

I personally never install by a user collection, because every computer they sit at will get the apps assigned to them. (of course you could make them pull it if they need it)

You could always make groups of computers based on location or departments.

I also have every app in its own collection, then a webpage that myself or the helpdesk (user group) can use that will put the computer name in the collection and force a quick install of the app.

There is a web page available that does much the same located at=

I have found that you can't advertise to a user group that contains computers successfully. The advertisement never shows up.

Makes perfect sense :) user groups can only have users, I was more talking about groups of computers based on a location or department....ip ranges...subnets...names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back