Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding Server 2008 to 2003 domain and configuration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsys

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2009
US
Just wanted to run this by somebody here. I have a Windows Server 2003 (R2SP4) domain with 2 DCs. I am going to add a Windows Server 2008 R2SP1 box dedicated to a single 64 bit app that uses SQL 2005. The app forces SQL to the default path of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server, and cannot be changed. The box has 3 physical drives. RAID 5 for a system drive is not desirable so I am just going to configure it for RAID 1 and a hot spare. I assume adding it to the domain will be all that is necessary, no adprep etc.
Any holes in this plan?

Depending on the level of performance the application requires, probably not. But I'd think long and hard about deploying an application written with such shoddy practices that the location of the SQL installation directory actually makes a difference. Unless the app is doing some fairly shady things it should be connecting to SQL via a network connection or named pipe or something similar, so as long as SQL knows where it's files are stored and is configured to accept connections it SHOULDN'T make a difference where the actual files are installed.

If you do run into performance issues you might be able to get away with creating a separate RAID volume from the OS disk and using mountpoints to make your new, super-fast array volume appear to be under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I used the PERC utility in the BIOS to set up the RAID 1 virtual disk and a hot spare. Had a heck of a time trying to load windows, kept getting a 'you are missing a driver...' message and setup would end. I ordered the installation media from M$ bit after downloading it (3GB) and reburning the ISO a few more times few more times it worked. It has a static IP (DNS servers, default gateway, etc). Domain Administrator is logged into the domain on it, it is in 'domain computers' not 'member servers'.

Now I cant get back into it via VNC to finish it. All the services are started and it tells me there is no password set for authentication - but there is...UGH

I agree with kmcferrin. I never put data on OS volumes. One wrong move and the data fills up the drive and the server falls flat on its face. And SQL generates tons of log files.....

RAID 5 would have given you more space, but with a performance hit (compared to RAID 1 or RAID 10).

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Depending on the level of performance the application requires, probably not. But I'd think long and hard about deploying an application written with such shoddy practices that the location of the SQL installation directory actually makes a difference. Unless the app is doing some fairly shady things it should be connecting to SQL via a network connection or named pipe or something similar, so as long as SQL knows where it's files are stored and is configured to accept connections it SHOULDN'T make a difference where the actual files are installed.

If you do run into performance issues you might be able to get away with creating a separate RAID volume from the OS disk and using mountpoints to make your new, super-fast array volume appear to be under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server

I agree, I dont trust the app. I'd rather not risk confusing it lest it explode. The mountpoint solution is a new one on me, can you elaborate a little?

this is a new one on me

To configure a volume as a mountpoint is pretty easy. In Disk Management when you create and format the volume, do not assign it a drive letter (there's actually an option for this in 2008 or later). Then, after the volume has been formatted you right-click on the volume in Disk Management and select "Change drive letter and paths", and instead of specifying a drive letter put in a path. So if you wanted to mount your new LUN as "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server" then you would put that in.

What this does is mount your new volume as the folder "Microsoft SQL Server" underneath "C:\Program Files". Typically the volume would have been mounted as a drive letter instead, so you'd just changing where the filesystem sees the volume. So if you're in C:\Program Files you're on the initial volume, but when you move into the SQL Server subdirectory you would be on the second volume, and the OS and applications are generally none the wiser. It's not necessarily the best solution because it has the potential to confuse someone who isn't looking for it or doesn't expect it, but it should work.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back