Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Raid1 to non raid server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi Guys, i have a PE1600 with 2x 36gb drives on the onboard scsi card (No RAID), OS is sbs2003.

The server is now heavily used and a harddrive failure would be bad news! I'd like to add RAID1 to the server using the existing drives. I have 2 options as i see it: Software and hardware.

Software would be easy, move the data on the D drive to the C and use disk management to mirror the C drive.

Hardware i'm not so sure of. Could i add an adaptec SCSI RAID card plug the drives into it, boot up into the OS and then use the raid software to set up a mirror using the RAID card. Could the OS handle these changes?

Thanks for your help!
Paul

You will wipe out your partitions when you add those drive to an RAID array. Back everything up and be prepared to reinstall the OS.

Cheers LawnBoy,

Reinstalling the operating system is not an option just now. Think i'll just go for the software RAID with 2003 SBS. Better than nothing.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back