Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbrian

Programmer
Aug 16, 1999
US
Is it possible to add a RAID to an existing server? I have a server running W2K Small Business Server on a single hard drive. Can I purchase a RAID adapter and an additional hard drive and upgrade to a RAID configuration without losing data?

The short answer is you can - but I would add the RAID as a second drive, then when it is recognised by Windows, partitioned and formatted, copy the data over and recreate the shares.

You certainly can't put the existing disk in as part of the RAID array without losing data (unless you back it up first and restore afterwards).

John

thats not entirly true. in most cases you canno't add drives to a raid without wiping them out. however there are certain raid controlers that will let you add an existing hard drive to a mirror raid without wiping it out. check through the manuel of whatever controler you are using to be sure how it might work. in any case you can always copy over the drive to a backup and the restore to the raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back