Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding port to Print Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi everyone,

My company had 2 printers hooked up to a print server, one a laser printer and the other a label printer, both connected into the 2 PARALLEL ports on the D-Link print server.

We have now replaced the label printer, but the new one connects via serial or USB. As we need to connect to print server (so everyone can use it all the time), we intend to connect it to the print server using the parallel cable supplied.

I naively thought it would just plug in and work, but I understand I need to add the serial port in NT, as only the parallel ones have been used at present (I have checked the IP address used by the parallel port used by the old label printer).

Please can you give me some step by step instructions on adding a port in Windows NT for the printer. It's a Seiko Label Printer SLP 200.

At the moment, because I'm unsure of how to proceed I've connected it to a spare PC and using windows printer sharing (Win98) to give access to a few users. But we need to set up the PERMANENT solution, via the print server, as soon as possible.

I do hope you can assist me very soon.

Kind Regards,
Jay

USB devices won't work with Windows NT4, simply because NT4 doesn't support USB. If your looking for something and you can't find what your looking for, try searching where you think you won't find what your looking for.

Dear Kupo,

I am puzzled by your response about USB ports.

As I explained, I want to connect it via the SERIAL port on the print server (it doesn't have a USB port anyway).

Based on this, can you assist?

Regards,
Jay/UK

From Control Panel, choose Ports. Normally, you would see COM1 and COM2 already present. From there you can configure the various settings. If your com ports aren't present, you can add them here also.

Once the ports are configured, go to the Printers and add the printer, configured for the appropriate com port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back