Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding or Deleting Rows 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlsGal52

Programmer
Aug 9, 2003
US
I'm having a problem adding and/or deleting rows and I "think" I know the answer but I'd like some other feedback before I decide to just do away with Interdev and start learning Dreamweaver which my company has been kind enough to purchase for a few programmers. Mind, I'm not an "expert level" web designer but I learn as I need to. :)

I have a major initials list that I broke down alphabetically and put each initial on its own page. Unfortunately, some pages have very long lists while others are shorter lists.

Here's my problem:

Whenever I try to add or delete a row in one of the long lists (by using the Table pull-down menu and clicking on add (or delete) row instead of going into the source code and doing it, the Interdev program just shuts down...no errors, no alerts...just closes right down and brings me back to my desktop as if I'd never been in the program.

I'm using Visual Interdev 6.0 and Windows 2000 but it seems to happen on my laptop too (Windows XP).

My Theory:
You can only add or delete rows when the table consists of a certain amount of rows...anything more and the program goes nuts and just closes down. Since I can add or delete rows on any of the smaller lists, that's my theory. And, if I go to the source code and type it in or take it out mannually, it works fine.

Does anyone know if what I think is the problem is true and would you know what the limit is as far as how many rows you can have before this happens?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Not too thrilled with trying to start over with Dreamweaver though I've heard it's a fabulous program...it's trying to find the time to learn it.

OK...go ahead...make me look stupid. LOL

What is a DTC table?

As to what kind of table...what kind would you call it if you go to the Table Pull-down menu and tell it to create a table while in Visual Interdev? I'm going to assume that's an HTML table. You do use the < TR > and < TD > coding. Does that help?

Yes, that would be an HTML table. Well of course they both are in the end but the DTC (Design Time Control) Grid control is a combination of ActiveX control that plugs into Visual Interdev and can be bound to data source like a SQL Query. There are also ASP server script files that are part of the Grid.

Anyway I tried to reproduce that error with the HTML Table without success. I was working with a Table of over a 100 rows and inserting rows just worked. How many rows are you talking about? Do you have the latest Service Pack installed ( OS and Visual Studio)?

-pete

OK...so it took me awhile to get back to you, Pete, but here's the deal.

I took your advice and made sure I had the latest service packs. I installed Visual InterDev 6.0 (SP5) and Windows 2000 SP5 and tried again and the same problem but I even took it a step further.

The 2 pages in particular that I have problems with have 210 and 327 rows to them (3 columns). If I'm on the Design page and I click on the Tables pull-down menu and then Insert Row, that's when the program closed totally down without any warning.

This still happens after I installed the latest service packs.

But, I did do a little MORE research and here's what has happened:

I went to a page with 81 rows (3 columns) and started inserting rows (using the pull-down method). When I got to the 124th row, the following message appeared:

DEVENV.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at &quot;0x63751d49&quot; referenced memory at 0x635b9630&quot;. The memory could not be &quot;written&quot;.

SO...I went even further and tried to create a brand new table...it would only allow me to create 100 rows (using the pull-down method) but I kept inserting more and more rows (using the pull-down) and by row 135 it still kept inserting rows (no problem). Mind you, these rows were blank...no data in the cells.

So, let's take it just one more step further:

In the Source Code area, I copied and pasted 81 rows that was in one file so it would come up with a total of approximately 162 rows. Then I went to the Design area and tried to insert a row by using the Table Pull-down menu, Insert Row...boom...totally took me out of the program again...no errors...nothing. And that's where I stand now.

Sorry, this writes like a book but it's the best way to describe my problem.

That is an excellent post! Enabled me to completely understand ( I hope) what your situation is. Unfortunately I still can’t reproduce the problem. I tried several times. Starting with a 100 rows and starting with 120 rows and using the Menu/Table/Insert Row until it made me dizzy. I got up to 158 rows, counting them made me dizzy again, until I gave up.

So this is a good news/bad news thing I guess. There does not seem to be a Visual Interdev bug. But your system seems to be in a poor state for some reason. Perhaps you have some third party VID add in running or something?

-pete

When you retried making the extra rows, was there data in all your fields? If so, then I have no clue either. LOL

Anyway, thanks for trying, Pete...maybe Dreamweaver is the way to go...I'm really getting tired of having the InterDev closing down on me when I forget how many rows I've got already established.

Thanks again,
Jane

I am a bit confused. You are creating a STATIC web page with hand-coded lines of data in a table (grid) layout. Static means that it is just an HTML page, no ASP to dynamically build the list at run time.

While Interdev is not a great HTML editor, and for design purposes Dreamweaver is better, I really think that you ought to investigate DTC's (Page, Recordset and Grid) to construct an ASP page. The grid (HTML table) is then populated with the database data at runtime, not at design-time. You could then pass the Initial letter in as a Query Parameter:
myWeb/ShowNames.asp?Initial=A

The code could then put this initial letter into the SQL, via a RecordsetDTC (here called rsNames):
...SQL: SELECT * FROM tblNames WHERE Initial = ?
make sure the 'Automatically Open Recorset' property is NOT ticked.

Add a PageDTC, locate the ScriptOutline 'view' - probably a tab of the toolbox area. Click the Server Objects and the thisPage twig of the tree. Double-click the onenter event, and fill in the code part...

sub thisPage_onenter()
'** give a value for the parameter
'** (a ? in the SQL clause)
'** and open the recordset.
'** the grid control will then display the data
rsNames.setParameter 0, Request.QueryString(&quot;Initial&quot;)
rsNames.open
end sub

Add a gridDTC, bind it to the rsNames recordset, and format the columns to display (its a bit clunky, but more powerful/flexible than you may think).

At runtime the grid is then populated with names starting with this initial. Easy Peezy (well nearly).

I assume that the end-users will not be adding names, just looking at them.

Umm....did I forget to say that I was not an expert and that I only learn what I need to when needed?

Though your response looks very impressive, MerlinB, it is very complicated and since I don't know ASP (which my husband says would be what I need to know), it would actually be alot easier for me to either continue the way I'm going or learn DreamWeaver. You see, not only do I work on intranet websites, I also coordinate the Tech HelpDesk at the company I work for, PLUS I create Help files (.chm) AND manage the Purchase Orders and Invoices for my department.

Bottom line: NO WAY can I take on learning something so far off from what I already use. In a perfect world, I could take a couple of months off and learn what I need to take your advice but...woe is me...I don't live in a perfect world. :)

I DO promise to keep your post and if time ever allows for me to learn ASP or any of its languages, I might come back to InterDev and play Sherlock Holmes with it.

Thanks anyway. :)

You may find that you can bash the data into an excel spreadsheet, and save it in HTML format. This gives you the Table rows, nicly sorted and so on.

Then you could use notepad, Interdev, Dreamweaver or whatever to adjust the formatting (Excel does add rather a lot of extra formatting info) and to add the header and links.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Of course, as a consultant I would suggest that you contract a developer to do the work for you. Ha!

Merlin, I appreciate your suggestion but my original question has not been addressed.

I originally DID create the table in Excel because it was so huge and I needed to be able to sort it after everything was entered. The table was then saved as an html and I fine-tuned the formatting in InterDev.

As long as my table (3 columns wide with text) stays within less than (I'm going to guess) 125 rows, everything works fine. It's after it gets longer (because I've added more names as more people are hired) that my problems start.

The original issue was...is there a bug in InterDev...not how can I write a program to get around the problem. But, thanks anyway.

Perhaps what i need to do is change what my title would be for this group. Yes, I write html and chm files but, as I originally specified, not at an expert level. :)

Point taken.

It probably is a bug in Interdev - though it is not really designed to do this type of editing. It is really a developer (for code) tool.

Try getting a copy of HTMLKit, which we use (its like notepad for HTML).

Thanks, I will. In the meantime, cause you and Pete have worked SO HARD on all this nonsense, I just HAVE to give you both stars. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back