Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding non-leviton items to leviton enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick283

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
I installed a Leviton SMC-420 wire cabinet. It is attached directly to the cement wall. The cabinet has pre-punched holes that nicely accept Leviton products.

I have a few non-Leviton items that I'd like to put in the cabinet, but I'm interested in getting people's ideas on a good method to do so.

I didn't want to mount the cabinet on a board, because when the basement is finished in the future, that board would push the box out to far.

I've thought of mounting a board inside the cabinet, but then how do I attach the board to the cabinet.

All suggestions are appreciated.

If this cabinet that you installed is set up for 19" rack mounting, you should be good to go. If not and you need to hang a back board in it, just drill through the cabinet to the concrete. Then using a hammerdrill drill you some small holes for some tapcon screws. Slip a 1/4" x 1" washer over the screw. These are made for concrete and masonary. A bit is included in the screws. If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

Mickey has a good suggestion for mounting.Plywood backing is strongly recommended.If you wish to add more devices or cabling equipment within the enclosure(even your current equipment),the installed ply will make it much easier to attach these things later.However,pay attention to the depth of the enclosure vs. the hardware,panels etc. being installed inside.The SMC-420 has a depth of 3.60".By adding a 3\4" plyboard your down to about 3".This may restrict the flush mount cover to close over installed connecting hardware.I cant speculate on how much depth you acually need,because I dont know what your putting in there.Have you looked into the Leviton Media Versatile Panel #47602-24E.Later,and good luck.

Plywood is a great backboard indeed. However, another geeky option if you want it to look very clean is the polyethelyne cutting boards available at the kitchen store. They are white, non-conductive, and about 1/2" or less in thickness. They cut on the tablesaw nicely, file and sand nicely, drill and tap nicely for screws, and give you a nice white clean surface when done.

I keep one in my truck to cut down for insulating situations that require something dielectric to mount to.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back