Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new web site project to Visual SourceSafe 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak2010

Programmer
Aug 27, 2010
US
Hi,

First, I like to say that I have worked with C#.Net, Visual Studio 2005 and Visual SourceSafe 2005 for a couple of years now, however this is for the first time I am configuring the VSS 2005 with the VS 2005 from scratch. I have some simple questions and I am sorry if some of them have already been answered in previous threads.

Here is my case,

I have a server with VS 2005 and VSS Server component installed in it. I have a couple of development machines with static IP addresses and are able to access the server using http port 80 and netbios file share ports.

I created a new database in VSS 2005 on the server m/c and configured it for internet access as well as enabled LAN.

Now I try to add a website project to the VSS 2005. I have a simple website project located at C:\code\MyProject folder. To add this project to my VSS database which is located at "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual SourceSafe Data" I open the web site in VS 2005 and right click on the solution file in the solution explorer and choose the option which says to add the project to source safe. All of this is still on my server machine.

At this stage, I was hoping that it will copy all the files to the location where I created my VSS database and have a physical second copy of the entire project on the disk. However, it just created a sln, suo, vssscc and a scc extension files at "C:\Documents and Settings\MyAccount\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects" and has no change in the folders or files of the location where I created my actual VSS database, i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual SourceSafe Data". Moreover, the actual project is still at its original location, i.e. C:\code\MyProject and the VS 2005 changes the code in that location even when it is connected to VSS 2005.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is this expected or a second copy of the entire project should be present some where in my VSS database folder? If yes, what could be my mistake?

2. If this is the expected behaviour, should I manually copy my project files to either VSS database folder or my documents folder for consistency or I can keep my project on any location on the disk?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Deepak Chandnani.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back