Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding New Users to Existing Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

serinty

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
Our company recently lost our IT guy and we are hoping with some study and research to adminster the basics ourselves.
We would like to add five computers to the exisiting network. Frist order of buisness is a bigger hub. Once we have the hub changed over how to we add the new computers to the network. We are not really concerned about rights. Just want everything to work. Is there some basic online training avialable. Could someone please outline the procedure for adding a new users to the network.
Thank you in advanced. :)

hi,
do you use active directory or an NT domain ?
in order to add a computer to the "network" all you need to know is the domain name and the administrator password.
Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

1st order is to use a switch instead of a hub! This will help to utilize your network bandwidth more effeciently.

As stated above is your network running a workgroup or a domain.
What operating system NT4 or windows 2000
What operating system do you plan to put on the workstations. XP,98 etc
Is the network connected to the internet?
Is the network using DHCP to assign ip addresses?
Is there a main server?
Send me a little more information and we can get your systems up and running in no time. You may email me TruckerGeek@hotmail.com and we may speak over the phone if this is all too confusing.

Here is a link to help out with adding additional computers to your network. Hope this helps good luck! |-0

Here is the step if you are going to run a windows xp workstation...

Note if you are only running a workgroup then select workgroup and enter the name of your workgroup.

Basically the same if you are running windows 2000 workstations just right click my computer-select properties-
click on network identification and you can see if your exisitng machines are running on a workgroup or a domain.
just match the information where you need to!
To add users to your network- go to your server then go to settings then administrative tools. Here you will add users to the network using either the active directory users- or users depending again if you are running a domain or workgroup. I hope this helps. If it does then mark this post as helpful... |-0

Right click network neighborhood goto properties click local area connection right click goto properties click on tcp/ip then properties. You will find the basic settings in here for your network if the machine is running properly.

Hands getting numb :) ok hope this helps bye.

Is there links for other operating systems. I have several computers, and wanting to learn how to network.

What other os are you talking about?
Give me the os you want to network and maybe I can find you
an easy step by step url to send you too!

I have win95,98,ME,WIN2000,2000PRO,NT,XP and last but not least Novell.
I am new at this and want to learn as much
possible. I will be using a netgear hub(10/100) of is there a better hub, or should I use a switch, with a dsl line.
So far I have win2000 set as server.

Hi, Thanks for your help. Your gonna kill me but at the last minute the Dean decided to call in a IT company. Really that was probbly the best solution. Im sorry you had to write all of that but I sure did learn alot in my search for info.
Hugs
Tina Dixon
Bienville University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back